Monday 7 November 2016

Pumpkin and coconut soup

When I was a young boy I always looked forward to autumn. I loved wrapping up warm when the nights drew in and the smells of the changing seasons in the air. My family was on that got excited about Halloween and bonfire night, as bonfire night is also my mothers birthday, and one thing that was a constant in the years growing up was her fantastic pumpkin soup. Unfortunately her recipe was not vegan or I would have found a way to persuade her into giving it to me. So over the past few years I have been making my own soup and now this autumn warmer recipe is my yearly addition to the season and is a perfect accompaniment for any Halloween or bonfire night get together. It's rich creamy and filling and will not leave you disappointed. So weather your huddled around a bonfire or watching some scary movies with friends be sure to have this to keep you cosy.




Ingredients:

  • One large onion.
  • 500g of pumpkin, peeled and diced. 
  • 500ml of vegetable stock. 
  • Two tablespoons of coconut cream scooped from the top of the coconut milk, more if you fancy.
  • Oil or fry light. 
  • Tsp of salt. 
  • One clove of garlic minced.
  • Pepper to taste.




Method:
Gently fry the onions in the oil or fry light on a low heat until they loose their colour, then add the diced pumpkin and fry with the onions. 
Whilst they fry, boil 500ml of water and stir the stock into it. 
Now the pumpkin has some colour add the stock, minced garlic, coconut cream and salt. 
Bring to the boil and then let simmer for 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
Now its time to blend it all together in a blender or food processor and serve with some lovely fresh bread and lots of dairy free spread. 

Tip: To be flashy, Scoop out the flesh from the pumpkin and then use the empty pumpkin to serve. 














Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig